SPANISH AMERICAN WAR
On 28 June 1898 the 9th Battalion was expanded and redesignated as the 8th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment commanded by Col. John C. Marshall with 12 letter companies drawing personnel from throughout the state. It was mustered into federal service at Camp Turner, IL (now the State Fairgrounds at Springfield) for the Spanish-American War. It mustered out of service on 3 April 1899.
Change of designation of this unit came rapidly. On 18 April 1899 the unit was redesignated the Ninth Infantry Battalion, and redesignated as the Eighth Infantry Battalion on 6 May 1899. In May and June of 1902 the Battalion was redesignated as the Eighth Infantry Regiment again Commanded by John R. Marshall.
Spanish-American War Veterans
Site developed by